May 29 - June 1
School Performance: Panda’s Home
Approximate Run-time: 50-60 Minutes
Grade Recommendation PK – 2
$4.00 tickets + Bus Reimbursement for all!
Drake Room Capacity: 100
Sensory-Friendly Performance* | Thursday, May 31, 2017 at 9:15 AM
Our smallest Festival-goers will embark on an immersive theater experience that follows a panda on an imaginary journey through China’s stories, traditions, and culture. Through the use of dance, sound, interactive projected images and play, the dancers and students alike will encounter bamboo forests, monsters, fireworks, and kites as they explore the five elements of Wu Xing—wood, fire, earth, metal and water. Presented by Compagnia TPO (Italy) in co-production with China’s TONG Production and Teatro Metastasio Di Prato.
How do I get tickets for my school or homeschool?
Call the Education Hotline at 651.282.3115 on September 1, 2017 at 7 AM!
PERFORMANCE AVAILABILITY IS SUBJECT TO CHANGE AT ANY TIME.
*Sensory-Friendly Performance Information for Thursday, May 31, 2017 at 9:15 AM
This performance will be sensory-friendly, designed to create a safe, nonjudgmental, and nurturing environment for individuals with autism spectrum disorder and other individuals with sensory, social and learning disabilities. It will involve adapting the house rules, adapting the audience environment, as well as pre-theater preparatory activities so the audience begins to understand and anticipate what might happen at a performing arts experience. A knowledgeable advisory committee of teachers, parents and organizations helped inform and shape this opportunity.
- Lights remain on at a low level in the theater during the performance;
- Lower sound level;
- Audience is free to talk and leave their seats during the performance;
- A quiet space outside the theater filled with an assortment manipulatives and comfort objects – stress balls, squeeze toys, bean bag chairs, pillows, blankets, and floor puzzles.
- Space throughout the theater for standing and movement;
- Seat cushions, headphones and ear plugs;
- Trained volunteers to assist with student’s needs;
- Limited crowds and visitors at the Ordway during the day and timing of the performance;
- Easy access to make quick exit;
- Audience members are welcome to bring their own manipulatives, comfort objects, and extra support items to the performance; and
- Pre-visit stories are designed to help prepare a child for situations he/she may encounter at the Flint Hills Family Festival at the Ordway. The story addresses what to expect, safety information, provides a visual schedule and suggested activities. If you’re interested in learning more about this performance download our free PDF pre-visit story: